Thursday, March 15, 2012

Custom Bike Build: My Fargo.

I recently put together a Salsa Fargo for myself.  This bike is to replace my Salsa Casseroll I rode a ton last summer and fall.  I love the position and efficiency that bike offered, but I was looking for a bigger tire and a little more off road capability.  The Generation 2 Fargo was an obvious choice.  Shown below is the bike with my commuting set up, namely the full frame bag from Revelate designs.  Salsa Revelate frame bags will be out any day now for Fargo's and El Mariachi's.  We will have those in stock as soon as we can get them.


My set up on this bike is very similar to my Casseroll.  Based around Salsa's 44cm Cowbell bar, this bike sports aero bars from Profile designs for long days in the saddle.  The bar is set lower than the saddle, in contrast to being set slightly above my saddle on my offroad, Woodchipper equipped bikes.  Shifting and braking controls are from Sram on this bike.


For the drive train on this bike I went with proven components from Shimano and Sram.  Up front an XT crank and compact front derailleur handing shifting wonderfully.  Out back a Sram X9 derailleur and cassette work wonderfully and allow for the use of a 12-36t wide range cassette if I'd like.  I went with an 11-32 cassette for use around here.


Wheels are my standard choices of White Industry hubs and quality rims set up tubeless.  I'm running WTB Vulpine semi slick tires at about 30-35 psi.  This is an amazing combo of comfort and effortless rolling.  The tires feel almost road bike like on hard surfaces, and they actually corner surprisingly well.  


I've spent quite a bit of time on this bike this year.  I love the comfort and stability of the larger tires, the aesthetics, and the fit is great.  I have a few minor changes I'd like to make, but these really are niggling points.  All in all this bike flat out rocks.  I can't wait to get some serious miles in on it! 

16 comments:

Ari said...

What brand are the rims you are using?
ari

Ben said...

Ari, these are black rims. That's all for now. ;)

Anonymous said...

Just guessing: Bontrager-font-like 'B'-decal on a Blunt-like rim? Intriguing.
Nice changes in the (work)shop, by the way! Arranging tools is heaven.

Best,
Frank

Ben said...

Curtis had fun with some stickers.

Thank you for the comments. It is a blast getting everything just so. Working with the new set up is already so much better than before. It'll be amazingly efficient when it's all said and done.

Anonymous said...

Nice ride....what are those El Mariachi/Fargo frame bags going to run price wise? Thanks...

sean

Ben said...

The Fargo/El Mar frame bags will be $160.

Wally said...

This is what? Your third Fargo now?

Ben said...

This is my third Fargo. I'm working on getting a Ti at some point as well!

Jerry said...

3rd fargo. some would say you have a problem. I'm not that person.

Ben said...

I should say this is the third Fargo I've OWNED. Both other ones have found loving homes.

(This coming from a guy who has owned 5 different Karate Monkey's at various times.)

Wally said...

I have no problem with multiple Fargos. I've had two myself. But Ben builds one every time he needs to update the blog and doesn't have anything else timely. :)

Ben said...

Guilty as charged. Better go start that Ti Mukluk I guess...

;)

Steve said...

When you say you were looking for a bigger tire and more offroad capability, why was the Fargo the obvious choice over the Vaya?

Ben Witt said...

Steve,

The max tire size on the Vaya is really no bigger than the Casseroll. Both if those bikes will clear 42c tires safely. The Fargo geometry allows for a similar fit and rider position, while fitting tires up to 2.4"s or 64c.

While the Vaya is a wonderful bike, it would have gained me nothing over my Casseroll set up other than disc brakes.

I ride my Fargo as pictured here on very technical trails in Arkansas last weekend, (minus the aero bars!). It worked wonderfully with

Ben Witt said...

minimal changes. That was really what I was looking for, a set up that could go from long days of gravel to singletrack comfortably. In that respect the Fargo was an obvious choice. No other bike I can think of has that great of versatility with minimal compromises.

Brett said...

Ben, I'm enjoying your Fargo builds! I'm actually building one now for myself, and having trouble bring some of the drive train together. What exact FD are you using? I see it is an XT, but there seem to be a few different kinds/models. Salsa website says to use a low clamp bottom pull. Does that mean an XT top swing with low clamp and dual pull will work? Thanks!! I'm a newbie if you can't tell.