Sunday, January 08, 2012

1950 Chevy Shop Truck Update

Today marked a high point in our restoration of our 1950 Chevy truck.  Working with my father and grandfather this afternoon we were able to free the three stuck wheels.  The truck had been stored for some time with the emergency brake left on.  The cables that operated the e brake were stuck in place, and the brake pads were stuck on.  After removing three wheels and applying heat with a torches we were able free all the stuck brake drums.

We've had the truck running for a few weeks now.  After replacing a faulty fuel pump and adding a modern inline fuel filter it runs quite well.  The brakes are still in need of work, the master cylinder needs to be rebuilt in order for them to work properly.  Regardless of this fact, I couldn't stop myself from driving the truck with all wheels now free!

I putted around the nearby soy bean field until the fuel filter clogged.   With the local Napa store closed, we left the truck where it stopped.  I'll swing out tomorrow morning and change the filter out to get it back where it belongs. 

 Next we'll tackle the brakes and it'll be safe to drive around town.  That done and it'll be on to body work and things like belts, hoses, and engine work.  I'm excited to get to work on these finer parts.  With any luck I'll meet my goal of driving this to QBP's Frostbike show in late February! 

2 comments:

Guitar Ted said...

Gonna get a dual reservoir master cylinder, right?

Hope to see this truck soon! I love old Chevy trucks like this.

Ben said...

GT,

I think that's the plan for now. An inline power booster is likely on the list as well. If the truck is to be driven at highway speeds that's what I'm looking for to consider it safe. The nice thing about both of these is that they can be installed under the cab, keeping the engine bay looking stock.