Friday, November 11, 2011

Challenge Parigi Roubaix Tires.

I like big tires.  For any type of riding a larger tire of similar weight will allow for lower pressure, lower rolling resistance, more comfort, and better traction.  When I consider how I ride road bikes, (leisurely, casual, social group or solo rides,) big tires are just as applicable.  My modern Trek Madone is an amazing bike.  It's efficient, comfortable, stable, and it handles better than any other road bike I've ridden.  All of this was with 23c, high quality tires ridden at 90 psi.

As good as this all was, the lure of a bigger tire was calling.  Enter the Challenge Parigi-Roubaix.  These tires are big, 29.5mm wide on Hed Belgium series rims.  They are light, 306gms on my scale.  They offer 260tpi casings, near full wrap tread, and feature a fine file tread pattern.  They look classic and modern at the same time.  I love them.


Classic herringbone tread with a nice looking hat patch make these tires really stand out.  It's worth noting that while they fit really well in the Madone, they did not fit in under the Sram Force brakes.  swapping to Shimano Ultegra's easily cleared the tires.  They in fact offered more clearance then the frame and fork.


Fit front and rear on these is a legitimate 3-4mm at full pressure.  I have no worries about running them in this bike. The tread pattern looks sticky as all get out.  I can't wait to get some real time on these this weekend.


I'm heading up to Duluth this weekend with Meg.  I plan on giving these a good workout simply bumming around town and heading up the shore.  The mix of super uphill climbs and mixed condition downhills combined with some nice relaxed road riding should make for a perfect trial run!

9 comments:

Wally said...

I'm glad you are outfitting my Madone with the cool stuff. I'm digging those tires. Can't wait to hear how they work out after some sustained road work.

rideonpurpose said...

I have every intention of running the tubular version for some races next year...

good call!

I wonder if the tubular also stretches out to that size?

hoosierinpa said...

Any idea if those would fit on a Cervelo R3 with the 3T fork and SRAM Force brakes?

Ben said...

Hossierinap, I don't know whether these would fit in that frame and fork. I am fairly sure they will not fit in those brakes, they did not fit in my Force brakes mounted on this Madone. I had to swap to Shimano Ultegra brakes for clearance sake. Whether they fit your brakes on that set up would come down to brake mounting hold placement. I would guess they will be too tight though.

It should be relatively easy to measure whether of not these tires would fit. The ones on my bike on wide Hed rims at 80 psi measure 30.5 mm wide, and 27.5mm tall. For safety I would recommend at least 3mm of clearance on all sides of any tire. That means at the widest point of the frame and fork you would need about 37mm inside width measurement 15mm above your rim, and you'd need about 32mm of height clearance above the rim.

Anonymous said...

hey ben how did these go on your long ride?

Rod from Australia

Ben said...

Rod,

These tires performed admirably well. The comfort and control they afford is a huge improvement over the tires I was running before. I settled on about 75 psi for pressure. These rolled amazing well at this pressure on smooth tarmac, and handled cranks, potholes, and bunny hopping small dead things great. I am quite pleased with these in every way. They're not coming off this bike any time soon!

Crazy bike guy said...

The pics indicate a black full tire yet all over the web, they are shown with a brown sidewall. Can you confirm this for me? Thanks

Anonymous said...

Thats good to hear.

Ben said...

CBG, these are available in either all black or with the tan sidewall. We have them in stock in the all black, I think it looks better on modern bikes than the tan. Either are easily available if you are interested in a set.