Friday, October 28, 2011

Planning the next build.

I mentioned on Facebook yesterday that I am going to be building a new Fargo for next year.  This is a from scratch build, something I've not done in a while.  My goal with this bike is to build a fairly lightweight, durable, and primarily comfortable bike with quality components.  I am pretty open as to what to use for wheels and drive train.  A lot of the bike is already set.  It will be built around a set of Salsa Woodchipper bars.  This means the bike will have to have Avid Road BB7's for brakes, and road shifters of some kind.  What shifters I use will be a function of which drive train I go with.

As with all of my bike builds, I am going to start with wheels.  All wheels start off with picking the right hubs.  I'm weighing a lot of things for these, but I know I want a few things.  First off I want these to roll.  These wheels need to just disappear under me.  When I turn the bike down hill I want to to run away from me.  This means more to me than sheer engagement, as the majority of the time I'll ride this on gravel and longer, easier mtb rides.  Secondly, I want these to be pretty.  I plan on having this bike for a very long time.  I want the hubs to last as long as the frame will.  Realistically every hub I am considering should do that, and they are from the usual suspects.  Chris King, White Industries, Phil Wood, and DT Swiss are all options as I'm concerned.  Thirdly, I want hubs that have easy to service free hubs.  All of those above meet these criteria to varying degrees.  Now the decision rests on weighing those.

These are in the shop now, along with a set of Chris King and DT Swiss hubs.  It's nice to have these on hand to play with and help make the decision.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

DT all the way. Lightest and simplest. Only lacks a little bling.

Ben said...

They are pretty high on the list. They and the White's roll the freest in my experience. I've used all of these with good success, I'm not sure there's a bad choice to be had on any of them.

Wally said...

Choosing between those hubs is a tough choice. I know the White Industries are great - you sort of proved that to me but my DT 240's are pretty special.
If you wanted some color, then its CK's which you well know. If you want free spinning, classically sculpted looks without breaking the bank go WI. I've always loved Phil Wood stuff, don't own any but of late besides our one common friend I have heard of other issues with them. DT Swiss reminds me of typical European old world products. Solid, not flashy and precise.

I'd probably go CK or DT having said all that.

MMcG said...

Get BMX-inspired and consider these:

http://profileracing.com/products_mtb.php

Some sweet looking hubs with plenty of bling if you so desire. ;)

Ben said...

Mark,I actually own a set of those and have for some time. They are quite nice. They just upgraded their cassette mechanism for something like 102 points of engagement. We saw them at Interbike and they are quite impressive.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a gang that knows their hubs! Like Ben, I'm pondering a set of wheels that are easily serviceable and don't require *instant* engagement, but my purposes will be even more limited to long gravel or road rides. The two front runners on my list are White Ind. and Phil Wood. Why would a guy spend ~40% more for Phil's hubs? The simplicity of servicing? (Is it more than the extra fancy finishing?)
Bryan

Ben said...

Phil Wood hubs are kind of likened to some kind of highly finished, coal fired, big beastly piece of industrial machinery. They are very simple in construction, roll incredibly well, and should last damn near forever. They are also are big heavy things. They are much heavier, and as you noted, they cost a lot more.

In my opinion White Industry hubs offer the best performance for the dollar over anything else available currently. There are many other reasons for choosing different hubs, and I very well may go in a different direction on this build.

Ultimately it's about determining your use and needs, what aesthetic you're looking for, and what expectations you have. Then you can accurately look at options and make a decision.

James Fisher said...

because the doctor put my return to riding out a few more months i'll will have time to join you in hub discussion land. i am still thinking about up=grading my suv.

JCS3 said...

Lots of great hubs out there, ever try Hadley's. I did for my Rawland Drakkar. Also went with a Salsa world-famous Woodchipper. Both components are winners. Ben, you build some pristine bikes with the most important component built first... ah the wheel. Cheers!

Ben said...

JCS3, thanks for the compliments. I've made my choice, the wheels are even done already! I think I made a good choice, and it will fit well with the theme of the rest of the build. That's all for now, more when things start to fall in place.