Thursday, April 21, 2011

Bridgestone 500 Town Bomber.

I thought I'd share some photos of a different kind of bike build I finally finished.  I acquired an older Bridgestone 500 a while back.  The bike was mostly stock, and was in very good shape.  The size fits me pretty well actually, but the narrow, deep, terrible old road bars had to go.  The bike's tires we also in need of replacement. Other than that, it's in great shape.  The components hardly show any signs of wear, and the paint is quite good.


This bike is meant to be a town bomber.  The super swept Bontrager bars put me in a really comfy cruiser position.  I love this aesthetic and riding position for cruising around town on hot summer nights.  Really good looking Bridgestone brakes allow easy clearance for the big 35c Bontrager slicks.  I love these tires, it's a pity they aren't made anymore.  They make a 32c tire that's pretty close though.  Nice tires for about $20.


The Shimano 600 cranks are some of the most aesthetically pleasing, commonly available cranks I've seen.  I just love the lines.  There's some rub marks on these, but they are in great shape really. The bike has a full Shimano 600 drivetrain.  I swapped the original chain to a modern HG-40, which makes shifting much smoother.


With the aggressive stance, this bike just looks fast.  The bars sweep back enough to keep the seating position comfortable, and it handles very well.  I can't wait for hot humid nights, good friends, and the dark roads around Northfield.  Soon enough.

9 comments:

MMcG said...

Love it!

Jerry said...

love the color. very classy ride

Wally said...

Classic. Color is fantastic, the lines of the bike rock. Really nice Ben.

James Fisher said...

Got to take a close look at the Bridgestone on STO campus today. It is an XO-1, hammered honjo fenders with what looked like original leather mud flaps. The brooks seat looked pretty original too. Nitto bars and tape look mint also. Nice cro-mo rack and brass bell on the stem. The crowning joy? Very classic "D" cell head lamp. Bridgestone rally knew what they were doing with these bikes.

professorj said...

Beautiful bike Ben! I love the handlebars. Upright is the way to go cruising with friends

Guitar Ted said...

Nice! Only one thing could make it better in my opinion, and that would be making it a single speed. NOT a fixie, mind you, but a freewheeling single.

I also agree that late 80's/early 90's Shimano cranks are just the best looking cranks they ever made.

Ben said...

Thanks for the comments guys. I really like the bike. Now if the weather would just cooperate I could enjoy riding it! 37 and rain felt really cold this morning.

GT I do think it would look good as a SS, but I just can't bear to take it apart. The drive train work so well, and is in such nice shape I think it would be too bad to disassemble it. If I had a bike to transfer it too that would be one thing, but I don't have any projects laying around.

It would make a heck of a donor bike for a Cross Check or BMC Cross bike build though wouldn't it? Nice big chain, gears that would never wear out....

Anonymous said...

Ben,

To echo other comments, that bike is beautiful.

Nate

Head Honcho said...

Yep. Unanimous. Hot bike. Looks like its very much fun to ride!