Monday, March 21, 2011

A new week.

Last week was one of the hardest weeks in my life.  Dave's death was a tragedy that touched many lives of good friends and people I call family.  The very hard parts of last week were also balanced out by a tremendous outpouring of support and love from all parts of my community.  Thank you to all who have helped and are helping all of us to get through this time as best we can.

Today is the start of a new week for me.  Meg and I should have been just getting home from our trip to California today.  I did work at the shop on Saturday, but tomorrow will be my first real day back.  Thankfully there is a lot of work to be done to keep Curtis and I occupied.  I relish the thought of being able to lose myself in work for a little bit. 

There are a lot of wheels that need to be built this week.  I find this particularly to be very calming, relaxing work.  It's time that I can tune out and just concentrate on what's happening right in front of me.  I've heard wheel building referred to by a good friend as knitting for men.  For me that analogy, (slightly sexist as it may be,) is very fitting.  Building wheels is a process, one that is as repeatable as stitching a line on a hat or sweater.  Though each individual wheel is slightly different, it's a pattern that gets repeated on each part until the finished product is done.

We are all moving on as best we can following last week.  In an effort to do what we can, Meg and I are working on putting together a memorial at the place where Dave died.  It's a gorgeous spot out in the country that I bike by on a regular basis.  It will of course have new meaning for me, and remains near hallowed ground in my mind.  I will keep friends updated as we make progress towards that goal.  We will likely put together a ceremony of some kind when it's complete and installed.  I'll keep folks apprised of that as well.

As for now, we all are doing what we can to remember Dave and celebrate his life.  As I said last week, we ask that you take some time to spend with family and friends in memory of our friend and brother.  Keep those close to you in your thoughts, and remind them of what they mean to you.

Take care all, I hope to see many of you soon.

No comments: