Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Light fat bike cranks.

The title of this post about sums it up.  Here are the latest crank offerings from e13, also known as The Hive. These are compatible with the 100mm bb shells currently used on all production fat bikes, the Salsa Mukluk and Surly Pugsley included.  Bottom line is that these are about the lightest, sexiest, and stiffest cranks you can throw at fat bike.

 
Here's the money shot.  The 100mm compatible spindle. 


These things are as visually stunning as their standard offerings.  They are also one of the lightest set ups you can run on a fat bike.  The set in our shop weighs 887 gms with bb and spacers.  That's close to the weight of a normal XT crank from Shimano.  These are also priced pretty competitively at $350.  If you want go fast fattie cranks, these are as good as it gets.  Stop in and check them out for yourself.  

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

They're nice! I got mine last week and I'm happy. What will you do for deraillers, XT's?

Best,
Frank

Ben said...

Frank, I have not decided yet on what I am going for with the drive train on my Mukluk. We've made a lot of changes to the shop recently, changes which have cost a fair bit of money. I may have to play it conservative on the drive train. with the awesome Phil wheels, the money will be where it ought to be anyway.

Anonymous said...

Your last comment is so true. Luckily, I can get by with 135mm hubs, a little less costly. Can't wait to see a pic of your Mukluk some time later.

Cheers,
Frank

Ben said...

Frank, you're right with that. I am a big wheel guy. I have used, albeit still nice parts in my bin to get the Muk running. There will be a few surprises coming, and I will plan on upgrading individual parts when I am responsively able to.