Saturday, August 14, 2010

Anticipatory Tent Preview

Next week is when a lot of our new camping inventory is set to arrive. One of the more exciting items we are looking forward to is the Shangra La 3 pyramid tend from Golite. This is a versatile shelter comprised of three main elements. The main tent body consists of the outer tarp, the inner adjustable pole, and six stakes. An inner no-see-um nest with attached floor can be added to combat MN bugs of all type. An attachable ground cloth rounds out the group providing protection from the ground when the bug netting is not needed. All three of these components are sold separately, so you can purchase the system that best suits your needs.

Here is an excellent video we've come across detailing the features of the tent. The video is put out by The Outdoor Station, a British camping resource. One slight warning, there is the use of one swear word in this video.



All in all I think this is a very good year round option for all types of camping. It's capacity is listed as three person, but really I would consider it a spacious two person. This is what Curtis and I have been lusting after for months now. We should have these in stock in the beginning part of the week. We will have one of these set up in the shop to look at, stop in and see what you think!

5 comments:

Joe said...

I've been using a GoLite Hex 3 for 3 years and love it! The Hex 3 is the Shangra La's older brother. I have one of the hard to find dark green ones. I have the nest (bug screen w/ floor) but mostly use it floorless for less weight and I can cook inside it.

Joe in Iowa

Ben said...

I'm pretty excited about them. Meg and I will be getting one for sure. Winter and fall camping I think will be especially nice with this set up.

Hope all is well in IA, heck of a lot of water you guys have been getting.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ben,

Nice concept: Salsa Adventure by Bike and the outdoor equipment to complement that. Wanna see some shopphoto's when products arrive!

Best, Frank

Wally Kilburg said...

GoLite has always made some neat stuff. The whole kit, all three pieces, weighs in at 5 lbs, 2 oz. and cost is fairly steep as well. I'd have to see it in action for it to unseat any of my Big Agnes tents which are lighter and proven in some really awful weather. I'm going to check it out though since I like the pyramid design.
You are doing some cool things there Ben, I like the direction.

Ben said...

Thanks for the kind comments. We are excited about the new direction for the shop. As said above, I think these are very complimentary products very much in line with where we'd like the shop to go. There will be a bit of longer transition associated with these products. We have to play it a little safe at first to feel out whether we can make it all work or not. The whole idea of it is exciting just because it is so different than the normal bike shop stuff. It's going to be a lot of fun exploring where this will all go.