Friday, May 14, 2010

Fat Front Enabled.

I had enough free time today to build the wheel for my eventual snow bike build. The set up uses the excellent new Enabler fork from Salsa. It is lighter than a Pug fork and features nicer tubing, forward facing stainless dropouts, symmetrical set up, and braze ons like a Fargo fork. I love the rear facing bottle or storage mounts. I use these all the time on my Fargo. They will likely hold the upcoming Salsa storage containers rather than water bottles.The slightly taller fork will slacken the Pugsley head angle a titch, as well as raise the bb and head tube slightly. These are all good things for how I want to set the bike up, so it's all good by me. The fork obviously has large tire/snow/mud clearance. As a fat front it will also fit one of the rear 29er wheels I have laying around for switch duties. As I have a Surly rear hubbed 29er wheel, it'll be a quick swap. The wheel build is standard Surly fodder. A QR Surly 1x1 disc hub laced to an original generation Large Marge XC. Spokes are DT competition laced with brass nipples. Nothing about it is terribly light or special. It's just a solid set up I should never have to touch.I am still ruminating on how to build the rest of the Pugsley. I am debating between running a Alfine or a traditional 2x9 set up with Woodchippers and Shimano bar cons. Riding this in the interim will give me a taste of fatness while I decide.

Happy Friday all.

2 comments:

coastkid said...

hi, nice fork...after just fitting one i recommend the alfine! for a pug...
i love the clutter free (mechs) set up... and the gaps inbetween gears isnt really that noticeable on a pugsley...

Chris said...

I vote for 2x9. I had a bit of trouble with my Alfine; gears 5 and above were popping under load. I sent the innards to Shimano Canada who recognised the problem and fixed it, but I got a big pop in gear 4 just the other day.

Thing is, if it were a derailleur system I could have fixed it myself, but with all the roller clutches and planetary gears, I didn't know where to start.

That said, J-tek is selling Alfine bar-end shifters through their website again. Alf and Woodchipper would be nice, though I'd hate to see you do it before me. ;)