Thursday, June 11, 2009

New dropouts from Paragon.

These are new rear dropouts from Paragon Machine works. They have been out for a while now, though some of you probably haven't seen them yet. I have really grown to like the aesthetics and function of the chain stay disc mounts on my OS Blackbuck. True to Paragon form, these are works of art in and of themselves. The graceful lines and cut outs just beg to be put in a simple EBB mtb, while the unobstructed rack and pannier mounts scream of functionality and ease of use. These solve a lot of the issues with mounting accessories on a disc bike. On my Rawland V1, for instance, I cannot mount both fenders and a rack at the same time. 2010 Rawland Models have been completely redesigned to accomodate this. While this is a problem with any disc bike, mounting the disc on the chainstay solves many of these issues. Similar dropouts to this are used on the suberb Salsa Fargo, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them on El Mariachis before too long. If possible, I'd love to have my next frame built with these. Time will tell.

4 comments:

Guitar Ted said...

I like those too, Ben. Paragon is going to sell a lot of those, I predict.

Funny thing about chain stay mounted disc brakes. Hayes tried to get us all on that bandwagon back in the late 90's, but their proprietary mount didn't fly with the industry. Fun to think what might have happened if Hayes had made a move to IS mounts on the chain stay back then.

Ben said...

Yeah, I do remember those. Do you recall if they had any mounting issues with calipers on small frames? I thought that was one of their reasonings for the smaller Hayes mount, a more compact caliper. I'm not sure that a smaller statured frame would reall work well with these. You could look at is as a design challenge though, and see where you'd end up. Hmmm, maybe a new Pofahl.....

jkeiffer said...

What if you don't need/want rack/fender mounts? Then its not as clean.

Ben said...

That would be a decision you's have to make for yourself. In my opinion, especially when figuring in down tube cable routing over top tube routing, it makes for an especially cleaner looking bike. I think 2 bolt holes are pretty minor visually compared to a full cable and disc caliper, but that's me.