Friday, December 05, 2008

Procal city bomber

Some time ago, I purchased an older Fisher Procaliber from my old boss Mike. It's a sweet little race frame set from about '95. To my knowledge, this bike was never offered as a complete, and was the last steel frame set raced by the Fisher team. Several things make this bike different from stock models at the time. This bike has very tight geometry. It has a 1 1/8th head tube, where almost all high end models had Fisher's "Evolution" 1 1/4". The chain stays and seat stays are very tight, and have very small bridges. The bike also has Ritchey dropouts. There are no fender or rack eyelets or bosses on the frame. The fork is uncut in the picture, the steer tube is incredibly short, almost like a threaded fork would be. It's a really fun bike to ride. I have really passed up 26" wheels for off road riding, as I have found 29ers to be what my body likes best. This bike still sees quite a bit of riding around town, and on occasional beer runs or the like. The bike is really quick, and the riding position puts you decidedly in attack mode. I have always run the bike as a SS, though it may undergo a vintage geared revival this winter if I have funding.

4 comments:

Guitar Ted said...

Ben, Those team fade steel fishers are super cool! I think it was Paola Pezzo that rode into prominence aboard one just like yours. I always remember that.

Fade paint jobs are cool. maybe they'll come back again someday.

Ben said...

Yeah, I really like the bike. I know that the team rode these, just haven't been able to find out any info. The bike says it was made in Japan, though Marty seemed to think it was one of the Tom Teesdale made ones. Wouldn't that be fun? Either way, a really nice bike to ride. I wouldn't mind having a 29er made to this exact formula, an ultra light, simple, steel, non sus SS. I think this one may get a Pofahl stem, as the Salsa doesn't get quite enough rise. That, and they are really pretty. :)

d.p. said...

All the Teesdale ones should have "TET####" serial numbers.

Ben said...

Thanks for that. I don't think it has that, so no luck there. Oh well. Still a kick but bike.