Saturday, August 16, 2008

Tag, I'm it.

Marty poked me to fill out this survey. Some good questions. I think it should be at the start of all bike shop employee applications. Hell, it'd even help me figure out some first time customers. The walk in, "I'm looking for a bike." "Here, fill this out to start." I like it.

If you could have one bike - and only one bike - for the rest of your life, what would it be?

It'd be this bike.
It's basically a 29er Cunningham CCR. It would be a Steve Potts drop bar compatible (LD stem), have geared sliding dropouts for SS, CX/road, or MTB geared mode, disc Potts type 2 fork and Ti frame. I've the rest of it all figured out, and will go into detail if people want.

Do you already have that coveted dream bike? If so, is it everything you hoped it would be? If not, are you working toward getting it? If you’re not working toward getting it, why not?

I am thinking of having this bike built. I've been looking for a custom Ti builder to work with for customer's bikes and I can't think of a better guy to do it with than Potts. This bike would be able to run 35c slicks for road with the sliders for a tight CX like rear end, geared MTB or SS MTB equally as well. I'd have two LD stems as well, one for drops and the other for H bars.

If you had to choose one — and only one — bike route to do every day for the rest of your life, what would it be, and why?

It would be my trip into work. It starts with 17 miles of rolling gravel into Faribault. From there I'd make the 8 mile MTB loop of River Bend Nature Center. After work, repeat going home. 50 miles of riding each day if you had time, and some gorgeous scenery to boot. I could be happy with that.

What kind of sick person would force another person to ride one and only one bike ride for the rest of her / his life?

If you think about it, we do. Not forcing really, but our culture kind of works like that. Most of my customer's can't afford more than one bike. I try to think about that when I'm selling them one.

Do you ride both road and mountain bikes? If both, which do you prefer and why? If only one or the other, why are you so narrow minded? I ride both.

I ride all types of riding, even BMX on occasion. They are all fun. Road rides tend to bore me, so they have to be done for fellowship, and I have to like the people I'm with. I find gravel and MTB to be more satisfying, as they are technically more demanding of riding skill, and the conditions change with weather and time.

Have you ever ridden a recumbent? If so, why? If not, describe the circumstances under which you would ride a recumbent?

Yes. They are great for some people, just not me. If I ride a recumbent it will be due to a medical condition that requires it to keep me riding. I just prefer traditional bikes better.

Have you ever raced a triathlon? If so, have you also ever tried strangling yourself with dental floss?

I can bike, swim, but running is for suckers. Period. You can't coast down hill while running, what's the point?

Suppose you were forced to either give up ice cream or bicycles for the rest of your life. Which would you give up, and why?

Come on, at least make me choose between biking and beer....

What is a question you think this questionnaire should have asked, but has not? Also, answer it.

The hardest introspective question of all, "Do I own to many bikes?"

Maybe. Thanks Marty!

There you have it, a little view into some of my views on my current state of being. I'll take questions, but would really like Sean and Jake to answer these questions, you're it!



2 comments:

blackmountaincycles said...

Dang, Ben. Did we both just, independantly, describe a couple of pretty similar bikes? http://blackmountaincycles.blogspot.com/2008/08/tag-youre-it.html

Bushpig.vrc said...

I'd love to get a Ti version of Charlie's do everything bike built up - particularly with a set of mini-cams!