Thursday, May 08, 2008

Late night ride

I took the Bianchi out for a little spin last night. First was a quick ride downtown to enjoy a small card game with friends. Afterward, I rode the normal loop around the colleges, and hit up the windmill loop. What a great night for a ride. The weather was perfect for with a light jacket, the wind was light, and the sky was clear. It's these kind of spring nights that make the winters here in MN a bit more bearable. The bike rode very well. Its quick, but not twitchy, and the 30 year old Brooks seat is getting better. The ride is super plush, between the Columbus tubing, the comfy Mustache bars and gel tape, and the huge 35c tires at 90 psi, this thing is a cruiser. Despite what would seem to be innocuous hybrid type tires, it still remains true to the original form of the bike. It is fast! I can foresee a lot of night rides on this bike in the future.

Totally unrelated, we've had this cat roaming around the neighborhood lately. It's a sweet little thing, with swirling markings on its sides. It effectively pulls off a Cinnabun impression perfectly. We've been letting it in the house from time to time, and it's actions are decidedly un-catlike. In fact, we've decided that it's a dog. It likes to cuddle, hops up in your lap to sleep, nuzzles your face, etc, etc. No cat in my experience is that friendly, ergo, it must be a dog. Meg and I had been talking about whether or not to officially take the cat as our own. I'll be honest, I'm not a cat person, I'm not really a pet person, but I'm not a mean person either. This morning, I rode home from coffee to find the cat trapped by two large tabbies in a bush. It was pretty clear what was going down, and so I chased them off with a few rocks and swift kicks, (I never hit either of them.) So, despite my feelings on the subject, I may be the owner of the cat by the end of the day. It's sleeping on my couch as we speak. Ah well, Meg will be happy. I think we'll name it Shithead, it seems appropriate.

Cheers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi again. Gosh, I hope I never get accused of "spamming again." So, I'm not much of a biker, but while doing a google image search on "Pofahl" I came across a couple of Mike's bikes and thus your blog. I was much impressed. Ok, now I must comment on the cat issue. First, let me say that not only do you own some cool bikes and are fortunate to know Mike Pofahl, you are also a HERO! Thanks for rescuing the kitty! Please, please, I beg you do not call him/her "Sh**head"! Please! Please? The cat deserves a decent name. Do you still think you know who I am?

Ben said...

The name is a term of endearment, lovingly given, and no, I don't know who you are. Thanks for the comments.

Ben

Anonymous said...

Ok, but would you like to be called "ShitHead?"